Baton Rouge: The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces several recent road openings as follows:
• I-110 in Baton Rouge
• I-49 in Alexandria
The following roads are the only state highways closed due to winter conditions:
• La. 10 Business to US 61 in West Feliciana
• La. 10, from US 61 to LA 10 Business in Pointe Coupee Parish
The weather is changing rapidly and so are the road conditions. DOTD will continue to monitor weather reports and work with its state and local partners to monitor the roadways. In the event a roadway is deemed unsafe, closures may occur again.
Weather conditions are still not optimal for driving. Travelers should not be on the roadways unless they have to. Louisiana State Police will also be working the roadways to ensure safe travel.
If you must drive, even on roads that are open, use extra caution. During winter weather conditions, motorists should follow these five safety tips:
• Drive slowly, carefully, and avoid driving while distracted.
• Allow for extra driving time.
• Reduce speeds when visibility is low.
• Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Look out for black ice---a thin, transparent layer of ice accumulation that can be visually hard to detect on bridges, overpasses, off-ramps and in shady spots.
• Be alert for workers on the roadway
Motorists can access the latest updates on real-time traffic and road conditions using the 511 Traveler Information System by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region on which they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can call 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511). Travelers can also access this information by visiting the 511 Traveler Information Web site at www.511la.org.
Additionally, motorists can utilize the new "Way to Geaux" application to receive real-time, around the clock travel alerts. The hands-free, eyes-free “smart phone” application can be downloaded on any iPhone or Android device by visiting either the iTunes App Store, or Google Play.