Baton Rouge: The Louisiana Department of Revenue (LDR) will begin processing 2012 state individual income tax returns on January 30, 2013. On that date, 2012 state income tax forms will become available at: http://www.revenue.louisiana.gov/sections/taxforms/default.aspx and at LDR offices and public libraries throughout the state. Louisiana File Online, the state’s electronic filing application, will begin accepting returns on that date, as well.
The state income tax filing deadline is May 15, 2013.
LDR recommends the following steps to ensure the speed and accuracy of tax return and refund processing:
- File electronically – The average refund processing time for returns filed electronically is ten business days; for returns filed on paper, the delay is 12 to 16 weeks
- Update your personal information if you have moved or changed your name during the tax year
- Double-check return information – Ensure that all social security numbers and tax computations are correct; math errors and incorrect tax table information are leading causes of delayed refunds
- Include all supporting information, such as W-2s; use paperclips, not staples, if filing a paper return
- Apply for extensions in a timely manner – Extension requests must be filed no later than the May 15 income tax filing deadline
- If additional tax is due, include the remittance coupon to ensure proper posting
- Make checks or money orders payable to the Louisiana Department of Revenue; do not send cash
- If filing on paper, attach the proper label to the mailing envelope
Visit the LDR website for the locations of agency headquarters and field offices: http://revenue.louisiana.gov/sections/aboutus/offices.aspx
Louisiana File Online is the state’s free web portal for individual and business tax filers. With Louisiana File Online, taxpayers can:
- File returns and pay taxes electronically
- Check the status of individual income tax refunds
- Amend tax returns
- View business tax information for current and previous years
Louisiana File Online is a public service from the Department of Revenue. There are no fees associated with its use. File taxes online at: www.revenue.louisiana.gov/fileonline
Taxpayers may also use commercial tax preparation software to file their state income taxes.