Baton Rouge: The State Bond Commission approved over $5.9 million in savings by refinancing existing public debt and $163 million for projects statewide at its July 19th meeting, according to State Treasurer John Kennedy.
“We saved the taxpayers $5.9 million by signing off on the refinancing of public debt in eight parishes,” said Treasurer Kennedy. “In addition, the Bond Commission gave approval for bonds to finance the Lafayette General Medical Center Project, the Tiger Stadium South End Zone project, as well as various infrastructure and capital improvement projects across the state.”
Among the individual projects the Bond Commission approved are:
• Ascension Parish, City of Donaldsonville, $650,000 Limited Tax Certificates of Indebtedness: To fund capital outlay projects for fire protection.
• Ascension Parish, City of Donaldsonville, $2.75 million in Sales Tax Bonds: For the construction and maintenance of roads, streets, bridges and sidewalks, and other infrastructure.
• Avoyelles Parish, Town of Mansura, $1.01 million in Revenue Bonds: For construction and improvements to the sewerage system.
• Avoyelles Parish, Avoyelles Parish Port Commission, $500,000 in Revenue Bonds: To acquire, construct and equip a maintenance building in Simmesport.
• Calcasieu Parish, Community Center and Playground District No.4, Ward 1, $1.5 million in Certificates of Indebtedness: For improvements and extensions to public recreational services and facilities.
• Concordia Parish, Parishwide Hospital Service District, $300,000 in Excess Revenue Certificates of Indebtedness: To acquire and furnish a building to provide health services, and make improvements to existing facilities.
• East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Public Facilities Authority, Tiger Athletic Foundation Project, $75 million in Revenue Bonds: For the construction of improvements of the South End Zone of Tiger Stadium and the Olympic Sports Improvements and to fund interest due during construction.
• East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana State University, Board of Supervisors, Tiger Athletic Foundation, South Endzone Project: Approval of a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the LSU Board of Supervisors and the Tiger Athletic Foundation for the construction of improvements of the South End Zone of Tiger Stadium.
• Jefferson Parish, City of Gretna, $3 million in Certificate of Indebtedness: For capital improvements.
• Lafayette Parish, Louisiana Public Facilities Authority, Lafayette General Medical Center Project, $60 million in Hospital Revenue Bonds: To construct, renovate and equip operating room suites, emergency room area and other portions of the Medical Center; Construction of a parking garage.
• Lincoln Parish, Village of Choudrant, $425,000 in Utility Revenue Bonds: For the emergency construction and replacement of a new water well.
• Red River Parish, Red River Parish Police Jury, $1.2 million in Limited Tax Certificates of Indebtedness: To acquire, construct, improve and furnish a public library.
• St. James Parish, Town of Lutcher, DHH Project, $470,000 in Limited Tax Revenue Bonds: For equipment, additions and improvements to the waterworks system.
• St. Landry Parish, St. Landry Parish Public Works Commission, District No. 5, $300,000 in Revenue Anticipation Notes: For the construction, operation and maintenance of roads, bridges and road drainage facilities and acquiring necessary equipment.
• St. Mary Parish, City of Franklin, $2 million in Public Improvement Revenue Bonds: For capital improvements and maintenance of public roads, bridges and public buildings.
The Commission also approved over $5.9 million in savings for local governments by refinancing existing debts. Among the refinancings approved were:
• Bienville Parish, Hospital Service District No.2, $46,000 in savings.
• East Baton Rouge Parish, Recreation and Park Commission, $2,567,000 in savings.
• Lafayette Parish, Lafayette Public Trust Financing Authority, Ragin Cajun Facilities, Inc. Project, $734,000 in savings.
• Lafourche Parish, Lafourche Parish School Board, Consolidated School District No.1, $1,817,000 in savings.
• Orleans Parish, University of Louisiana System, Board of Supervisors, University of New Orleans Wellness Center Project, $478,000 in savings.
• Rapides Parish, England Economic and Industrial Development District, $209,000 in savings.
• St. Tammany Parish, Town of Abita Springs, $11,000 in savings.
• Tangipahoa Parish, Tangipahoa Parish School Board, School District No. 116, $107,000 in savings.
The Louisiana State Bond Commission meets monthly to review and approve applications from parishes, municipalities, special taxing districts, and other political subdivisions of the State requesting authority to incur debt.